Venison Wisdom

Recipes, Facts and Tips for Handling & Preparing the World's Healthiest Meat

Do you make venison jerky? What is your preferred method? Ground meat from a "shooter," or strips? Do you use a dehydrator? What is the make and model? Do you use the oven? Please share your tips and techniques!

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the past I sliced little .250 thick slabs from backstraps and sprinkled the cure and seasoning on them from a kit. That worked well, but this season I tried grinding the scraps into hamburger, mixing in the seasoning, and squeezing out 1" wide X 1/8" think wafers with a jerky gun, which also worked. This all in a dehydrator. I get many comments on my "perfected" jerky, but the truth is I haven't a clue. In fact, I wonder if it's possible to do jerky wrong?
I don't like the burger method of jerky. I have liked the flavor of some I have had in the past.I just don't like the texture. You just can't beat the flavor of strip jerkey. There is a method to the madness tho. I have used several recipes and added a few twist. Like adding hot sauce or red pepper flakes. The thing I like to do is just open the spice cabinet and just pick put what i like and have fun. Just remember dont add to much of one particular liquid. Like Liquid smoke it cant over power everything. Just make it to your taste. I like mine spicy. I used a dehydrator that has a fan. I have learned you have to play close attention to the product so you dont over do it. Overdone jerkey is not good.
stubbs makes a good marinade for beef that does well for me. i also dont like the burger and gun method. so i cut up steaks and soak overnight. then use an electric dehydrator. got to keep an eye on it though, like the other poster said its no good over dried!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Tracy Schmidt.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service